Thursday 23 October 2014

Interview with Amelia Thorne

Today I have the pleasure of welcoming Amelia Thorne for a chat.



Hi Amelia

Welcome to Comet Babe's Books!

Thank you for having me

Can you tell us about your book that is due out in October?

It doesn’t have a title yet, I’m working with Carina to come up with the best fit.  It’s about Joy, who is a secret chainsaw artist, she creates her sculptures under the cover of the night.  She moves to a tiny village, looking for a fresh start in life but finds the welcome party is well and truly out.  Due to a misunderstanding, the villagers believe she is someone else and start exacting their misplaced revenge on her.  Next door is the rather gorgeous, rather huge, rather grumpy Finn Mackenzie which creates several problems for Joy.  Add a diamond thief into the mix and it makes for a funny, lovely entertaining read with a bit of sex in there too. (Amelia answered my questions a couple of months ago - Jo)

How old were you when you started writing?
I’ve always written stories, even as a child. When I was about 10 I asked for a typewriter for Christmas and I wrote my first full length story when I was about 18 years old.  

Who are your favourite writers?
I have loads, Sylvia Day, Jamie McGuire are fab, but I think I’d like to be Sarah Morgan when I grow up, her mix of humour, gorgeous stories and characters and hot sex is what I aspire to.

What books did you read as a child?
Enid Blyton, loved all the famous five, secret seven stuff, when I was a teenager I stole my mom’s Danielle Steele books.

Are any of your characters based on people you know?
Mmm some are, but I change them sufficiently so they won’t recognize themselves.  The hazards of knowing a writer, you’ll either end up in a book or something you did or said will.

Can you share a sneak peak at what you're working on at the moment?
This is an extract from my book that’s going to be released in October. Joy and Finn’s first kiss.

And then she was alone with Finn.
In one giant stride he was in front of her. She started to defend herself but was silenced with his mouth as he kissed her.  
Her heart leapt, and she felt herself go hot and cold simultaneously.  Something inside her melted like an ice cube sizzling on hot skin.  Her mouth was still open, half in shock half with the unsaid words she’d been about to say.  And then she started kissing him back, her hands in his hair as he pulled her against him
His tongue touched hers and something zapped through her, all senses, synapses firing up, so his every touch washed over in great waves of desire.  He was really good too, but so not what she expected. Despite his size, she imagined his kisses to be gentle and soft, and though there was an element of that, there was also passion, an undeniable hunger from him.  This was a kiss that was about to lead to something more, in about five seconds, clothes were going to get torn off and Joy suddenly didn’t care that they were in broad daylight and people might see them.
But as abruptly as it had started, it was suddenly over as Finn snatched himself away, obviously aware of where the kiss had been heading too.
He didn’t say anything as he stared at her but he didn’t look pleased, as if she had just grabbed him and kissed him.

If you could be invisible for a day, what would you do?
I think eaves dropping on people’s private conversations would be a must, I’d like to go into Buckingham Palace just to see what the Queen gets up to when she’s not in the public eye and I guess the pervy side of me would probably have a quick visit to the men’s changing rooms at my local pool.

Have you ever heard a strange/different story that you thought would be great in a book?
 
I think real life is very interesting, people’s lives, loves and problems, you just have to sit in a coffee shop and listen to people’s interactions to get a great idea for a story.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?
See my friends, go for walks, I love to read.  Sometimes I wish I could be a professional reader instead of a writer.  Entering another world that another author has created is absolutely the best way to spend a few hours.

Tell us something about yourself that readers won’t know from reading your books or web page?
I have a secret identity.  But that’s probably a story for another day.

Thank you for answering my questions today!



No comments:

Post a Comment