Friday 8 May 2015

#HIFortnight - Interview with Charlotte Ledger

Today for #HIFortnight my closing post is with Harper Impulse editor Charlotte Ledger.




Hi Charlotte

Thank you for answering my questions for #HIFortnight.

Can you tell us how long you have worked in publishing and about your role at Harper Impulse?
I started in publishing in 2011 as an editorial assistant at Mills & Boon – the best way to start in publishing! As well as it being a lot of fun, M&B gave me invaluable experience of fast-paced, commercial and global romance publishing.

In 2013 I was given the opportunity to get involved with HarperImpulse at the very beginning stages of the imprint. It’s been a hugely exciting challenge – not to mention steep learning curve. Even in the four years I’ve been in publishing, the industry has changed massively and keeps on changing.

As Editor I’m involved in every aspect of the digi first publishing process – from acquiring new authors, editing and working with current authors to social media, publicity, design, production, digital sales and pricing. We have some brilliant software that even allows me to create the epubs myself in minutes!

What made you want to become an editor?
Free books? ;) That and of course being a massive book geek. I love reading. I wanted a career that would excite and inspire me and would involve me doing something I loved. There are times when you live, breathe, even eat the books (in the shape of book launch cupcakes!) so you really do have to be passionate in the publishing industry. 

Do you read all the submissions you are handed to the end?
I try to, but there are some submissions which are, from the outset, very clearly not suitable for publishing.

When reading a submission, when do you know that you want to publish a book?
When I can’t stop thinking about it hours after I’ve reached the end.

What is your pet hate when authors submit to HI?
I would have to say it would be receiving submissions that aren’t romance or even remotely commercial women’s fiction.

What advice/suggestions would you give to someone thinking of submitting to HI?
Be patient, be passionate.

I love HI books and you publish quite a range of books, is there a particular formula you’re looking for?
Definitely no formula – one of the great things about being digital first is that we have more opportunities to take risks with our acquisitions. I’m looking for amazing storytelling that keeps me turning the pages and isn’t afraid to break the rules. 

What do you like to do away from the day job?
Reading (I’m currently in the middle of a John Green marathon), watching movies, baking, eating, rugby, long walks in the countryside, obsessing about my latest book boyfriend (at the moment it’s Elias from Sabaa Tahir’s An Ember in the Ashes), travelling, Buzzfeed ‘which character are you quizzes’, drinking pina coladas and getting caught in the rain…

If you were invisible for a day what would you do?
FREE TILIKUM!

Can you describe a day in the life of Charlotte Ledger?
Emails tea Twitter emails tea emails reading tea meetings meetings emails. Haha but seriously, one of the great things about my job is that my days are always varied and never the same. Sometimes I’ll have days when I solely focus on reading and editing, other days when I have to concentrate on our print on demand programme (all our novels are available in paperback too) or creating the epubs. My favourite days are when an author can come in though and we get to go and sample the delights of Borough Market…

Thank you for answering my questions today.

Thank you so much for having me on your fab blog, Jo, and for being part of #HIFortnight! That’s the other thing I love about what I do – I know I’m biased but the romance community is THE BEST. The bloggers, the authors, the readers and fans are just so tireless in their enthusiasm and creativity. It’s great to be part of something where you can just share and chat and waffle on about the things you love.


About The Editor


Charlotte Ledger is Editor at HarperImpulse. She began working in publishing in 2011 and spent two years being seduced by all manner of powerful Sheikhs, Regency rakes and rugged cowboys at romance giants Mills & Boon, where she gained invaluable experience of fast-paced, commercial and global romance publishing.

Charlotte joined HarperCollins in March 2013 for the launch of HarperImpulse, a digital first imprint looking to break new talent and proudly publish romantic fiction that gets everybody talking. Since then the imprint has been awarded the Festival of Romance Publisher Innovation Award, hosted the UK’s first online Romance Festival, and published over 100 titles across a wide variety of genres and formats.


You can tweet her @girl_on_a_ledge where she likes to waffle on about all things romance including Dawson’s Creek, baked goods and that time she met Jack Nicholson. 



A Note from Me!

I would like to say Thank you to Kate Beedon who's idea this fortnight was and to all the fab Harper Impulse Authors who have taken the time to write posts and answer questions not only for my blog but all the blogs who have taken part in #HIFortnight. 

 Thank you  to Harper Impulse and their amazing editor Charlotte Ledger who have returned the hell out of all of out tweets.

We couldn't have done this without your amazing input and support.

Jo xx

Thank You!!!!

7 comments:

  1. What a fantastic interview! Jo - have loved your posts for #HIFortnight xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks back to you too, Jo! What a fabulous way to round of #HIFortnight. I've now 'known' Charlotte for 2 years but I learned a lot more about her from these questions and answers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks reading Romy and thank you to all the HI authors and Charlotte for agreeing to answer my questions x

      Delete
  3. Awesome post by a lovely lady, who is just the best editor and Jo, you are so full of energy and love for what you do! double Whammy, ladies. L xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thank you so much, Linn, love this interview and Charlotte was so amazing answering my questions xx

      Delete
  4. Thanks for that great interview Jo and Charlotte - loved it xx

    ReplyDelete