Thursday 8 October 2015

Interview with Monica James




Hi Monica

Welcome to Comet Babes Books today.

Thank you so much for having. It’s a complete honour.

Can you tell us about Addicted to Sin?
Addicted to Sin is a tale filled with angst, seduction, love, revenge, betrayal, and the list goes on. It is broken up into five acts, (like every Shakespearean play) as the themes throughout the book can be linked to Shakespeare’s plays—conflict; love and hate, fate and free will, imprisonment and freedom, madness, revenge, and sin and salvation. Also, one of the main characters is called Juliet.

Can you tell us who designed the smokin’ cover?
I was lucky enough to have the wonderful team at my publishers, Bookouture, design it for me. I love it. I think it reflects the story perfectly.

Dixon is very much a bad boy. Is he fun to write and did you find it easy or hard to get into his head (write from his POV)?

I don’t know what this says about my thinking process, but I found Dixon incredibly easy to write! He is probably the easiest and most enjoyable character I’ve ever written. His story was one I knew some people would like, while others would hate. And I was okay with that.

I wanted to make his character as real and raw as possible because we’re not perfect. We make mistakes along the way, and hopefully, we learn from those mistakes, which I think Dixon has.

Dixon does some stupid things in this book, but I wanted to stay true to his character and story. Some people may not like the decisions he makes but deep down, he thinks he’s doing what he’s doing for the greater good.

When you started writing Addicted to Sin did it change from what you had planned/in mind?
Honestly, all my work does. I usually have a storyboard of A, B & C but by the end product, the story has veered so far from the original storyline, it’s now sitting at X, Y & Z. But I love that. I love that my characters can surprise me, which makes telling their story so fun and interesting to write.

Can you share a sneak speak of what you’re working on?
Sure. I have just finished book 2, Driven to Sin! It’s so bittersweet to say goodbye. I really hope everyone loves it as much as I do.

One of my favourite characters from the book is Hunter, will we be seeing more of Hunter?
LOL! Hunter has really become a house favourite with every reader! Honestly, I’m shocked! When I wrote him I was thinking, oh dear god, people are going to hate him. He’s obnoxious, with no mouth filter-but everyone loves him, which I am so pleased about!

And in regards to seeing more of him, I think Hunter in true Hunter fashion has A LOT more to say!

If the book was made into a film, who would you cast as the main character?
Oh, that’s a really good question! I really don’t know! Maybe we could take it to poll and see what the readers come up with me. I would love to see their selections!

Can you tell us about your writing process?
I don’t have a process per se. It usually involves me hunched over my laptop for hours upon hours, writing down the ideas which are swimming around in my head. As most authors will tell you, we’re usually struck with brilliant ideas at the worst possible times- in the shower, trying to sleep, while driving, at the supermarket, etc... I always have a notepad on me so when inspiration strikes, I’m ready to go! There has been many times when a scene or storyline has hit me at 3 a.m. and I’ve jotted down that idea on a piece of paper in the dark. Attempting to decode what I wrote the next day is always fun!

Do you find it hard to write a steamy scene?
YES! The scenes in Addicted to Sin are probably the steamiest I’ve ever written and the entire time I was thinking ‘Oh god, what will my mum say?’ But I feel they were all in context to the story and not just thrown in for some smut.

What advice would you give to someone thinking of writing a book and what is the worst advice you have received?
Just keep at it. Seriously, all those cheesy clichés sometimes hold some truth. If at first you don’t succeed, try and try again. Best piece of advice ever, as I can totally relate to it. We all can.

If you have a dream, don’t let anyone tell you you’re not good enough to achieve it.

Worst advice? Write naked? LOL


Thank you for answering my questions today. 

Thank you so much. It was fun x 



Monica James spent her youth devouring the works of Anne Rice, William Shakespeare and Emily Dickinson.

When she is not writing, Monica is busy running her own business, but she always finds a balance between the two. 

She enjoys writing honest, heartfelt and turbulent stories, hoping to leave an imprint on her readers, and her inspiration comes from every day life. She is an Amazon best selling author in the US, UK, Australia and Canada. 

Monica James resides in Melbourne, Australia with her wonderful family, and menagerie of animals.
She is slightly obsessed with cats, chucks and lip gloss, and secretly wishes she was a ninja on the weekends.

Twitter: @monicajames81
http://monicajamesbooks.blogspot.com.au 






Tell me your deepest, darkest secrets. I dare you. 

Addiction comes down to one simple, primitive concept. Desire. 

My name is Dr. Dixon Mathews, and I’m New York’s finest shrink. For $500 an hour, people tell me their darkest, most sinful secrets. 

My own addiction? Sex. A good f**k really is the best medicine. 

I might be certified in solving other people’s problems, but not mine – 

I know I’m a lost cause. I don’t do relationships. I don’t even do the same woman twice. 

But that’s all about to change, thanks to two entirely different women who awaken my deepest desires. 

Who will I choose? 

I know who I should choose, but I never said I was the hero of this story, or even the good guy. And besides, who wants to be good, when it feels so good being bad? 

My tale isn’t for the faint-hearted. If you’re game, strap yourself in and expect the unexpected. But don’t say I didn’t warn you… 


No comments:

Post a Comment